Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Amy Begley Show!


While at the Olympic Trials, the 10,000 meter run was a final event. As reported on TheFinalSprint.com, Amy Begley was arguably the story of the night. Not only did she have to place third to make the Olympic Team, but she also had to run the A standard.

The top two finishers in Shalane Flanagan and Kara Goucher had left her behind earlier in the race.

With a lap and half to go, she left nothing to spare. She accomplished the A standard and third place with just 1.4 seconds to spare, leaving her race on the track in the process.

At the press conference she said, "I looked in the stands, and my husband had a worried look on his face. I decided I had to go now or regret this the rest of my life."

Gouche and Begley are lifetime friends, and both train under the Nike's Oregon Project with coaching sensation Roberto Salazar in Portland. This morning Begley has no regrets at all.

By Jay Hicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment