Monday, August 18, 2008

Wariner & Merritt Move Forward to Semi-Finals

Olympics Day 10 - Athletics

Drum beats of athlete battle.

-Beijing-The 400-meters have not seen any surprises, yet. All three U.S. runners ran well qualifying but everyone is waiting to see the battle looming for the finals. Right now, it is the calm before the storm.

Reigning champion Jeremy Wariner advanced in 45.23 for the semi-finals along with rival LaShawn Merritt in 44.96. Both easily winning their respective heats.

Merritt is ready to battle:”It's time to go, time to showdown and throw down. I went home, got my confidence up and mentally got ready to perform. I train to win and when I do it gives me a good boost.”

The third place finisher at the U.S. Olympic Trials, David Neville who finished second in his heat in 45.22 to advance said “You know I thought I'd be able to run a little slower. I did what I had to do to make it through. For me, I'm just going out there and doing the best I can do. I'm representing the U.S. to the best of my ability."

Jeremy Wariner whose wants is the world record to fall in Beijing but goal is winning a second medal in the event said the following after the race: “We have a chance to get top three. It will take a lot of work but anything is possible.”

Anything less than a U.S. sweep of the event would amount to a colossal failure. The Prerace Jitters Predictions for the 400-meter finals are as follows:

1st: Jeremy Wariner – 43.35
2nd: LaShawn Merritt – 43.80
3rd: David Neville 44.63

By Jay Hicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment