Sunday, September 21, 2008

Asafa Powell Predicts 9.5 Seconds!

Day in the Life of Allyson Felix - Day 2

How fast will the 100-meters go in 2009?

In a recent interview, former world record holder Asafa Powell seems to think it can go much faster. The question on my mind is whether Powell is thinking of himself or how fast he thinks his countrymen Usain Bolt can potentially run when making this prediction.

"When I ran 9.74 I thought my limit would be 9.69," he said. Then when Usain ran 9.69 after stopping 20 meters before the finish, it's obviously possible to go even faster. I think 9.6 is possible. I think next year you'll see 9.5."

Powell went on to say, "Wherever Usain takes (the record), I'll be there right with him."

Who better to ask than Powell. He has seen his previous world record of 9.74 get lowered twice this season alone as Usain Bolt cruised 9.69 to win the Olympic gold.

How fast do you think Bolt, Powell or Tyson Gay can run in '09?

Jay Hicks for Prerace Jitters.

1 comment: